Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Baron's Message


While taking a break from reading The Walking Dead graphic novels, I’ve started reading Good Call: Reflections on Faith, Family, and Fowl by Jase Robertson.   As for Good Call, I picked it up because I am fan of Duck Dynasty and Jase is one of my favorite characters on the show.  I thought it would be interesting to read about the life he had prior to the show and get an insight to who he might be.  I am still reading the book so I won’t get into telling you about it.  I will say that I highly recommend it so far as I’m only 100 pages from the end.  One thing everyone talks about when discussing Duck Dynasty is their Christian beliefs.  The show does not try to hide it, which is something my wife and I enjoy about the show.  What I didn’t realize is how much their faith is a part of their lives until reading Good Call.  
While reading about Jase’s story of becoming a Christian I naturally started to reflect on my own story.  In the book Jase discusses how he would share the Gospel with everyone and anyone.  It’s amazing to read about some of the wild situations he found himself in and how it eventually led him to bringing another person to the Lord.  I grew up going to church and Sunday school every week as a kid.  Actually until the day I left for college.  Staying home from church was not an option.  About the only way was if we were sick or a few times the day after prom.  I remember in high school thinking how cool it was to hear how some of my friends came to Christ and accepted him as their savior.  They always had this one moment where it just changed and they knew it was right.  I remember being jealous of their stories.  Growing up in church I felt like I always knew who Jesus was, I never really thought he was not a part of my life.  As an adult I can look back and realize how lucky I was to grow up that way.  This isn’t to say there were times when I strayed, but I’ve always found my way back.  I also know now that everyone’s story is different, but each person’s story is special.  Even now with my daughter, we are looking for churches where she can have similar experiences that I had as a youth in the church.
In high school and college I sang in a Christian touring choir called Maranatha.  Every summer we would go on a 9 day tour around the East Coast.  In my 8 years in the choir I visited every state East of the Mississippi except Wisconsin.  We sang every night in a different town.  We would then stay the night at host family homes.  We had opportunities to share the good news through song in our concerts, through conversation with the host families, and with each other during the day or with the member we were staying with that night.  There would be nights that we would sing to almost empty sanctuaries.  We would go through the whole concert in dress no matter what.  Our director, Chris Ryder, would say, “it doesn’t matter if anyone is in the sanctuary, as long as one person hears the Word we were doing our job.”  As a teenager that seemed ridiculous.  

 
However one night we were performing our drama program.  During the program we would have Jesus walk in carrying a cross.  The guards would simulate hammering nails into his hands and feet.  At the same time someone would be hitting a mic stand base with a hammer.  The whole scene was very powerful.  I can still remember the feeling I had the first time I heard the piercing sound of the hammer hitting metal.  It was overwhelming and the choir did not know it was going to happen.  One night a friend of mine was playing one of the guards.  He had the responsibility of “hammering” the nails, raising the cross, and then eventually carrying the person playing Jesus out of the room.  At the end of the concert I was in charge of the tear down crew that this person was on.   I walked by him and told him he needed to help out.  I didn’t realize that something was clearly bothering him.  We were in Charleston, WV that evening and stayed on the campus of WV State.  That same guy was rooming with me that night.  I later asked him what was up after the concert.  
He told me that when he joined the choir he didn’t really view himself as a Christian.  He just enjoyed singing and this was an opportunity to do more of it.  We discussed our Faith’s and talked through what he was going through.  That night he decided to give himself to the Lord.  It was awesome.  I haven’t talked to the guy since I left the choir, but both of our lives were forever changed that night.  It was the first time I really felt like I had an effect on anyone.  It was also the first time I truly felt the power of the Spirit.  It was also the first time that the statement that Chris had been saying to us for so many years really made sense.  The songs we were singing we not always just for the people in the congregation, they were there for us as well.
Since that night a lot has happened in my life.  I did rebel from going to church for a long time.  I was not a morning person and Sundays I was either too tired or too hung over to go.  I always wanted church on my terms.  I wanted an evening service, maybe a midweek service.  In college I loved going to InterVarsity, but had it been on Sunday mornings or a Friday or Saturday night I would have missed out.  When I lived on my own it took 5 or so years before I finally found a church family I felt comfortable enough to join.  One morning I just woke up and said I’m going to church.  Then I kept going.  Then I stopped drinking to the point I didn’t want to wake up the next morning so I wouldn’t miss church.
It revived my spirit and relationship with Jesus.  I have two people that may or may not know they are responsible for me coming back to church the second week.  Sandy Boone and Ron Orr, all they did was say hello.  Then they came back and asked how my week was the next week.   Surprisingly I did end up having that moment, it was that Sunday morning when I woke up and said, “I need to go to church.”  It was when I decided to stop trying to walk on my own.
Now as I finish writing this, I’m not sure why two of my last blogs seem to be “church” related.  But it’s what I’ve been moved to write about.  It is a vulnerable feeling and I’m not sure how I feel about it yet.  But if someone reads this and it plants a seed then I guess it’s worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Share |