Tuesday, October 28, 2014

10 Years of SigEp Continued...


Please read up on numbers 8, 9, and 10 if you haven’t already.  As some of you know the 10 year anniversary of SigEp chartering at CNU is coming up this weekend.  It also happens to be Founder’s Day on the same evening.  I will continue my countdown of some of my favorite memories and stories from my days as a SigEp and since I’ve graduated.

#7 – The Jungle, Jefferson East, The Country Club:  We’re here to party

Now I’m sure since I’ve graduated and the guys I was in the fraternity with have graduated there have been plenty of other places where brothers gather on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or any other night of the week for that matter to have a good time, but these were the three that I remember the most.

The Jungle – Located at Auburn Chase Apartments.  After some extensive research (10 seconds of googling) I found that this place has been renamed Newport Commons Apartments.  You know a place has a bad reputation when they have to change the name.  This was a popular place to live in college because the apartments were not that nice and they were pretty cheap.  Highlights of the Jungle include the drunk helmet.  Usually it was worn by someone who needed it to protect their head when they were falling all over the place.  I know a couple guys who it most certainly helped.  Every party started by playing Welcome to the Jungle.  I can’t really go into a lot of detail about what happened here, but I have a lot of great memories at this place.  I have some great beer pong victories.  I also think this is where we invented the Bong Pong game.   The things you come up with while board.  It was also a go to the summer we lived on campus while painting the residence halls. 

Jefferson East – two of my favorite non-CNU and non-SigEp people lived here, VDOT and Tre.  One night we were partying and I went down to have a cigarette.  There were a group of guys outside doing the same thing across the parking lot.  They shouted for me, calling me Big Country and called Stango and me over.  We chatted for a while and eventually they were guys we would get to know rather well.  Although there was one time we made the mistake of inviting them into the party.  Let’s just say none of the girls appreciated it.  I don’t know if the guys who lived there appreciated it but it definitely became our regular hang out for the year they lived there.  One of our favorite parties was after a big win against Bridgewater in football my senior year.  It was also when Hasson and I set the record for most consecutive beer pong victories at 19.  And unlike most parties where you play a lot teams over and over again, it was mostly against different teams.  I still have a picture of the two of us from that night in my home office.  It is also the party where the VS locked herself in the bathroom.  It is never good when people lock themselves in an apartment bathroom and pass out. 

One of the funniest stories was on a night when 10 of us just went over to watch the MLB Playoffs.  We were just sitting around watching the Yankees and the Red Sox when someone knocked on the door.  It was the Newport News Police department.  Of course they would show up on a night when we were not even making any noise.  Luckily they just gave us the business for a few and left.

This was also where Bolt and I got our nicknames, Winston and Stewart.  Stango said, we just looked like guys who were named Winston and Stewart.  Bolt and I still call each other by those names today.

Stango is another story all on his own.  There are more Stango stories I could tell than are appropriate for one of my blogs.  He was a great guy and was one of the few non-SigEps that hung out with us on a regular basis.

The Country Club – Located in a friendly neighborhood in Newport News.  This was one of my favorites, even though I only visited here after graduation.  There was the pastel party, Party Like a Rockstar Thursdays, the first O’Gradyfest.  You name it, it happened here.  The problem with this whole section is I can’t go into a lot of details without incriminating myself and others.  These are the stories best saved when sitting around a fire with friends, at a tailgate, or anyplace other than the internet.  I promise, if you ask me in person I will gladly share stories, but for your protection and mine I will not post them here.   If you remember to ask, ask about the one time I met the neighbor across the street or the night I stole the “ostrich burger.”  If I ever write actual memoirs where I no longer need to be employed, I will tell all at that time.  I’ll use these posts as the trigger I need to remember the stories. 
The only story I will tell is the pastel party.  It was a crazy fun filled night.  Only two of the guys who lived in the house were actually there.  One was on his deathbed upstairs.  He had just signed a sheet of paper titled My Will.  It stated that if he died I would get his girlfriend.  It also stated that our friend Jason would get his M3.  The other member of the household left a couple hours into the party because it had gotten too out of control or something like that.  It didn't stop the rest of us from having fun though.

#6 – Spring Break: Panama City

This week almost broke me.  It was the only year I went on spring break and it’s probably a good thing.  I remember sitting in the House with some brothers planning the event.  We were trying to figure out how much money we would need each day.  We came up with a figure like $30 to cover food and beer for a day.  Then when we asked guys if they wanted to go we asked them if they would choose $30 or death.  It was like we believed that if we couldn’t come up with $30 each day that we would die of starvation or something like that.  We eventually got 9 people to go on the trip.  Including myself there were 5 brothers, 2 girls, and 2 guys from back home.  Another two brothers drove down on their own and found a place when they got there to join us in this crazy adventure. 

The Friday before I left I was in the Emergency Room with a kidney stone.  I was really worried this was going to ruin my chances at going on the trip.  Some brothers came to visit me while I was waiting for the doctor.  I was there almost all day.  One of my brothers asked the nurse if I would be able to drink on the trip.  The nurse said, “You should be fine if you drink a glass of water for every alcoholic beverage you have.”  She then asked another nurse the same question.  Nurse #2 replied, “Only if you want to end up in a hospital in Florida.”  We all lost it, I don’t even know if we were all laughing at the same thing, but the response was ridiculous.  Needless to say I went and I did not end up in a Florida hospital and I did not listen to the nurse’s advice.

Panama City itself pretty much deserves Vegas treatment.  Not that we won’t discuss it if you ask, but much of what happened is really funny to those that were there and nobody else.  I will say there is nothing like weaving in and out of traffic in Atlanta’s rush hour while making record time through the city on I-85 and fully trusting your brothers to tell you when you are clear to change lanes.  There was also Debubba and Jo-Jo’s, the karaoke bar across the street where you could get a $10 wristband and drink Coors Banquet Beer all day even after you left.  Debubba was some kind of Confederate Elvis.   There was the night where we taught Canadian’s how to play Beer Pong.  

Check back later for the top five.  Don’t forget to bring your own goat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Share |