Friday, March 19, 2010

Things We Are Good At! Really its Storytelling Time.

Everyone has something they good at, some people are good musicians, athletes, debaters, actors, you name it there are a lot of things you can be good at and make money and find glory. You could win an Oscar, MVP Award, Championship Ring, or become a Supreme Court Justice. But there are the people who are good at certain things that receive no fanfare outside of a bar, group of friends, or the fraternity house. I bet you can't name the team that won the World Series of Beer Pong this winter in Las Vegas unless you were there, but I bet you could name the guys in your Fraternity House who dominated the table every night. In my fraternity beer bong wasn't just a stupid game, we took it pretty serious everyone was pretty good, but there were a few of us who were almost always on point. In our house there was Brammer with his rainbow arc, Bolt with his off balance I'm hammered shot, and a few others.

There was one night when I took the table after a football game with my partner Hasson and the switch just flipped, we won our first game, then our second, before we knew it we had won 7 or 8 in a row. At this point we are getting tired of playing and not getting drunk enough for a Saturday night party so we spend the next three or four games trying to lose so we could enjoy the rest of the party. We would bounce off of girls’ foreheads and other various body parts. We would bounce of the wall and they just kept going in the cups. We soon realized around the 13th win that what we were doing was pretty cool, so we went for it; we wanted to get to 20 wins. By the end of the night we hit 19 games which was not 20 wins, but we couldn’t get anyone else to play us, we showed back up at the house the next night and won two more games before losing, which put us at 21 straight wins as partners. The record, among at least my fraternity brothers, held until I graduated and for a year or so after that. Brothers talked about that night for a few years after, I know this because I got a drunk phone call from Brammer his senior year at 3am telling me him and his partner hit 22 games. Like I said outside of the fraternity nobody really cared, but among our brothers it was a goal to try and beat. Brammer and his partner I believe still hold the record, if not I hope they also got an early morning wake up call to let them know they had lost it.

Now there is only one other instance where I held a similar accomplishment. In 11th grade my church’s youth group participated in the 30 hour Famine. So for 30 hours we were not allowed to eat any food. At the end of the 30 hours we always went to CiCi’s Pizza. Well I got an idea from a friend on my high school’s baseball team to see how many slices of pizza I could eat in one sitting. So a group of us at church sat down and went for it. We were all neck and neck for the first 20 slices. Over the next 10 slices, 3 of us distanced ourselves from the field. When I hit 30 I knew there were only a couple guys who could keep up with me, in the same way runners have a kick at the end of a race, I had once at the end of this race of food. I somehow put down another 12 slices. 42 slices of pizza, the thought of it makes me sick today. I’ve never surpassed 20 since, which is a good thing.

Now I know all of you have a story or two about something you’ve done that gave you bragging rights amongst your friends. Go ahead and leave your story in the comments section.

3 comments:

  1. Chad, I need to know what toppings, and if you were drinking soda, beer, or water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almang once made love 27 times in one day.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Share |