Friday, March 12, 2010

Team Pride vs. National Pride

Recently in the news a lot is being made about a tradition at Chicago Blackhawks games. The tradition being that the Chicago fans cheer during the Star Spangled Banner. At first I understood it as the fans yelling random insults to the opposing teams, but I saw video of the fans today on Fox News, while getting my coffee at Mocha Mo's, and I don't he as much of a problem with it. The other thing that makes this easier to accept is its been going on since the 80's and just now its becoming an issue.

I know teams all across sports have little traditions when the National Anthem is played. In DC at Capitals games the fans shout the word RED, this started during the "Rock the Red!" campaign. In Baltimore the shout OH, in Dallas they shout STARS, and in Atlanta they change "...home of the brave" to "...home of the braves." Why do the people who have issue with Chicago's tradition not have issue with these traditions.

There was a guy on Fox News who stated that there is a law in the US code that states people are to stand at attention with there hand over there heart during the playing of the National Anthem. If the USA is going to begin enforcing this law then shouldn't they start with President Obama, during the campaign he wouldn't place his hand on his heart?.

The question the commentator had was is this a patriotic act? To many people it will be considered disrespectful and unpatriotic, but to some the thought doesn't cross there mind.

My question is how this isn't protected by the First Ammendment, burning the USA Flag is protected and I feel like that is a much worse offense. There are laws in the US Code directing citizens how to properly dispose of a flag, how to treat it and when its time to get a new flag. I don't agree with burning the flag in protest, but its protected, how can expressing yourself during the National Anthem at a sporting event not be protected? So I'd like to see what others think about this, take a minute and comment?

God Bless America!

2 comments:

  1. I thought people did have issues with the RED at the Caps games and OH in Baltimore - but if I understand correctly, the people at the Blackhawks are just cheering during the song? Well, that a little rude to those that are performing the song and doesn't really contribute anything to it - where as the fans in those certain cities are just emphasizing a word that's actually found in the song.

    I agree that this act isn't nearly as offensive as burning a flag, but I do feel that I could understand there would be people out there that feel it's disrespectful to the anthem and the country it represents. It takes the song that represents our country and makes a bit of a joke about. I also feel like those that feel that way about the anthem, feel the same way about the flag burning.

    HR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a good point, I'm not sure where I stand personally. I know I would never cheer and yell through the entire playing of the National Anthem. I usually just sing it to myself.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Share |