Thursday, December 29, 2016

My All-Time Baseball Starting Lineup


Every once in a while a buddy and I sit down and discuss our all-time starting lineup in baseball.  We do variations, our all-time Phillies or Orioles lineups, all-time lineups for players who have played in our lifetime, and all-time from any era.  If you are a fan of baseball you know these conversations and sometimes debates can go on forever, especially when you widen the pool of players.  Are you looking for defense, offense, both, power, or OBP.   Pitchers are even more difficult.  Sometimes you won’t pick a guy because he played on your rival’s team or was just a jerk.  For my all-time team of any era, its why guys like Clemens didn’t make the cut.  But no matter how hard I try, it’s hard not to show favor to guys from my lifetime.  Anyways here are my starters, I also added my bench players, a 5 man starting rotation, along with bullpen.  But since this is an all-time team there are only 3 relievers, I figured having hitters was smarter.
Outfield:

Left Field – Barry Bonds.  I know this decision brings with it a lot of controversy, but before his head swelled he was one of the best hitters of all time.  He was even a power hitter.  All he did was, what a lot of other players did and I won’t hold that against him.  The difference is he was already great, now he was out of this world.  I don’t care about whether he did or did not take steroids, it was what the game was at that time and I like everyone else enjoyed watching the ball leave the park every 3-4 at bats.  But I would rather have pre-steroid Bonds because he was a better defensive player and had more speed.

Center Field – The Kid, Ken Griffey Jr.  It was a toss-up between him and Willie Mays.  But Griffey was amazing with the Mariners.  The only thing that made him seem unforgettable with the Reds is he just wasn’t as amazing as he was in Seattle, but he was still great.  I couldn’t wait to turn SportSCenter on as kid to see what kind of highlight catch he made the night before or whether or not he launched one out of the park.  If not for the strike in 94 he may have broken Roger Maris single season homerun record. 

Right Field – Willie Mays.  The outfield was the most difficult to fill.  So many great outfielders over the years.  Do I fill it like the All-Star game with the 3 best regardless of position or put guys where they played.  Well I initially started with Tony Gwynn here then thought Mickey Mantle, but ended up with Willie Mays.  Willie Mays had power and speed and played great defense.  I only wish I could have seen him play.  Watching his highlights all I can think is how did he catch that ball.
The Infield:

First Base – Miguel Cabrera.  Miggy is an amazing hitter.  He won the Triple Crown a couple years ago.  As far as fielding goes, he just has natural instinct.  Size and speed.  I remember early in his career a guy was trying to walk him intentionally.  Well there is a reason pitchers throw so far from the plate when they intentionally walk a guy.  This time the pitcher didn’t get far enough away.  Cabrera takes a swing and drops it in front of the center fielder and gets an RBI.



Second Base – Chase Utley.  I will admit this is a somewhat biased pick, but in his prime he was great.  The way he played second was unmatched by anyone else.  At the plate he had clutch hit after clutch hit.  He swung for average and power.  He may not have won an MVP like Ryan Howard or Jimmy Rollins did for those Phillies but he was consistently great over that time period and was the MVP of those teams.



Shortstop – Cal Ripken Jr.  Cal is one of my all-time favorite players.  The only player I can for sure say I like more is Mike Schmidt and spoiler alert he made the lineup.  The Iron Man, played in more games without missing a day than any other player before or since.  A record that I truly believe will never be broken again.  I remember watching him that night when the game went official and he did his curtain call.  I remember his memorable homeruns like he had in his final All Star game or when A-Rod went to third in that game so he could play short.  There were two things you could count on when I was growing up.  Ripken would start for the AL and Ozzie Smith would start for the NL at SS.  Ripken eventually moved back to third base where he started his career but that didn’t keep him from being voted into the All Star game.



Third Base – Michael Jack Schmidt.  Mike Schmidt is the first player I remember cheering for as a kid.  He is the first person I remember being elected into the Hall of Fame.  He was the first poster I had on my wall.  I don’t even think I knew how great he was when I was watching him until I was older and he had retired.  Growing up outside of Philly I knew he was special.  He will always be my favorite player.  One of my favorite videos of him is Harry Kalas calling his 500th career homerun.  I wish now as an adult I could go back and watch him play and truly understand how great of a player he was not just in Philly but across the league.



Catcher – Ivan “Pudge” Rodriguez.  I remember the first time I saw Pudge play in the All Star game and thinking, “how can this guy be so good.”  It was like he could throw anybody out that tried to steel on him, he was so fast.  One year Lenny Dykstra who was the Phillies speedy center fielder got the jump on a steal to second.  I thought there is no way Pudge is getting him.  Next thing I know the ball is in the fielder’s glove and they are swiping Dykstra out.
Pitchers:

Starters – Clayton Kershaw, Josh Gibson, Justin Verlander, Curt Schilling, and Greg Maddux.  This might be the position that most people argue over the most.  But Schilling is possibly one of the best post season pitchers ever.  Maddux didn’t over power people he just was able to place the ball where it needed to go like nobody else.  Kershaw and Verlander are possibly the best pitchers currently playing, they almost seem unhittable on most days.  Josh Gibson, every highlight I have seen of Gibson looks intimidating.  I honestly think he could pitch against the players of today and still be as successful.

Relievers – Mariano Rivera, John Smoltz, and Rollie Fingers.  Fingers is the father of the closer roll so he has to be included.  John Smoltz is one of the best pitchers to play the game whether he was a closer or starter.  As for Rivera you cannot have a list of closers without including this guy.  I know there are not a lot of relievers but did you see the starters?
The Bench:
Tony Gwynn
Mike Trout
Mickey Mantle
Ryne Sandberg
Ted Williams
Babe Ruth
Ozzie Smith
Albert Pujols
Johnny Bench
 
I don’t think much needs to be said about the bench.  These players could start on many teams that others might create.  I’d love to hear your version of an All-Time Baseball lineup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Share |