Thursday, December 29, 2016

10 Things I Loved About Sports in 2016

10. Stewart Wins in Final Season

The last few years have been tough as a Tony Stewart fan.  With injuries and other things keeping him off the track for long periods of time and winning being absent it was difficult to watch at times.  His team was winning, but not the 14.  Seeing him fend off Hamlin at Sonoma for what seemed like too many laps was the most excitement I’ve experienced while watching a NASCAR race since Tony won his last championship and was fending off eventual runner up Carl Edwards.  Those final laps reminded me of everything I loved about Tony’s career.  The way he masterfully worked that car through the turns and even as he dove under Hamlin at the end to get the win.  NASCAR has lost another great driver this year with Tony’s retirement.  WAR TONY STEWART!
9.  Michigan back in the National Conversation

Jim Harbaugh has made it fun to watch Michigan Football again.  The games I was able to watch this year I saw a team that has returned as one of the NCAA’s elite teams.  There is so much hope for the future.  Highlights from this season were the Wisconsin game for sure.  The way the defense showed up and kept the team in the game until the Offense found their moment to shine.  I don’t know if I liked Darboh’s touchdown to take the lead or Lewis’ one handed interception to seal the game.  I cannot wait to watch them play on Friday night against Florida State.  Go Blue! 
8)  Hope in Philly

I do not know what it was about the 2016 Phillies but I loved watching them play this season.  The young squad was just fun to watch.  I am very excited about the coming season.  The same can be said after watching the Eagles this year.  Wentz looks like the real deal.  If only they had Lane Johnson all season how different the season might have been, but next year looks bright.
7)  The Rio Olympics

Do I need to say more, it was the Olympics?  I also go into more specifics further down.  U-S-A.  U-S-A.
6)  Army beats Navy.

I don’t have a rooting interest in this game like many of the fans on each side.  I’ve always cheered on Army because my Grandfather was in the Army during WWII.  The game itself is something I look forward to each year.  I even had the chance to go this year, but my wife turned down the tickets thinking we were busy.  One day.  It was great to see Army finally win this game for the first time in over a decade.
5)  USA wins Little League World Series (LLWS).

This year my wife and I cut the cord and have gone almost full streaming.  Our provider provides free local channels with our internet plan.  All that means is we sometimes just watch what is on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and TBS.  Not sure how the last one made it in there.  But one Sunday we got sucked into the LLWS championship game.  The USA rarely beats whatever team wins the international bracket.  This season it was so cool watching these young men play their hearts out.  It was great seeing these kids celebrate their victory. 
4)  USA Wins Ryder Cup.

Starting to notice a trend?  Again no cable and each round was on local channels.  I was glued to the TV anytime Patrick Reed was on.  He was crushing it.  This year’s team was so energized in a way that made them fun to watch.  My wife still doesn’t get how I can watch golf on TV and I don’t have an answer that makes sense.  One an unrelated side note, seeing Tiger come back a few weeks ago was awesome, I can’t wait to watch golf next year.  Jordan Spieth has also been a joy to watch.  Then to watch him go all Tin Cup at the Masters this season.  It makes me feel better about my game, only 4 months till Myrtle Beach.
3) Usain Bolt:  Another Triple.

While not American, Bolt is the type of athlete that draws people to the Olympics.  He may not have as many medals as Phelps, but he is equally as successful if not more having won gold in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay for 3 consecutive Olympics.  If there were more sprinting events he would have more golds I am sure.  I love watching him run.  He just looks like he is running on another plane than the rest of the runners in the field. 

2) Michael Phelps:  Just keeps winning.

Nothing new can be said about Phelps.  He is the most decorated swimmer in the history of the sport and the most decorated Olympian of all time.  To compete at the level he did and for as long as he did is incredible.  I’ve loved watching him swim.  London was tough to watch.  This year in Rio was refreshing, he seemed to be enjoying himself for once and at times it felt like he was the underdog.  But he just kept making the podium.  He will be missed at the next Summer Olympics.

1)  Cubs Win!


The Cubs winning the World Series was my favorite sports memory of 2016.  Growing up my Grandma Lamb would take me to Wrigley with my cousin Jeff.  She loved Chicago sports.  Her love for sports was one of the bonds we shared.  I remember one year we were at my Uncle’s house and the Bulls were playing and she was sitting there on the edge of her seat.  She closed her eyes and said I can’t watch it’s too much.  I am the same way at times when I watch a game.  I can only imagine her watching Games 6 and 7 thinking the same thing as the Cubs came back.  I was in Baltimore watching the game in my hotel room.  I was texting with friends who were watching it.  I was thinking about my cousins who are all Cubs fans to this day and how they must feel watching what was happening.  I thought about my dad who grew up watching Ernie Banks and cheering the Cubs on.  But most of all I thought about my Grandmother who passed away last year.  I thought about how much she would have enjoyed this, I went to bed with a smile knowing she was up in Heaven watching all of us watch the game and celebrating that her Cubbies had finally won the World Series again.
2017 will bring a new slate and I can’t wait to see the memorable moments that come with it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Share |